Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important Announcement: Apple will soon begin implementing App Store Price increases for several countries over the next week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trinity
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you... I never noticed this price difference until today, as I’ve only ever played on IOS. Trust apple to have a premium ????????‍♂️

• Cupcake
    replied
    Trinity Here is a topic that may help explain it. The stores control the exchange rates and tax for various countries, which are reflected in the prices that are charged to customers. So if a developer sets a base USD price, the prices in various stores around the world may different because the store itself is using different exchange and tax rates. Though the focus is on App Stores in different countries, they talk about Android, too, and you can see how it would apply.
    Last edited by Cupcake; 12-20-2020, 09:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Trinity
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	F88FD58E-EAE2-488C-879B-7B6500156690.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	268286

Compared to android:

Click image for larger version

Name:	895B3A57-30FB-4F59-8427-DB91F8232EA4.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	268287

Even the original price is different, i.e. $38.99 on IOS vs $34.99 on android ($4 dollar difference).

(These are the AU stores).

Leave a comment:

• Morning Sky
    replied
    I do not understand the prices of the EO on iTunes. The EO today costs 5 Swiss francs. According to today's exchange rate, this corresponds to 4.60 Euros. But the EO costs 5,49 Euro! In America you pay 4.99 dollars, that would be 4.42 converted into euros and 4.80 in Swiss francs.

Leave a comment:

• Evanna
    commented on 's reply
    Spelling Bee
    Thank you. I know of developers who cover the additional costs but I also understand that depending on how much it is, we can't ask the same of Bongfish, at least not the full fees. Maybe a percentage but I understand that covering 30% might be too much. It just really is annoying and bad for us to be charged this much more I wish we'd pay Bongfish directly.
    As I've said in a different thread, if prices were lower (EOs for €5.49 max, Rarity items ideally cheaper too) people would spend more money overall because you don't have to overcome your inhibition of spending money and would click buy more often. Which really is stupid because you end up spending more in the end ???? Those Apple et al fees really aren't doing anyone a favour. Except Apple ????????

• Spelling Bee
    commented on 's reply
    Evanna Yes, you have it correct. Ideally, these additional fees/charges would fluctuate up, and then back down. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case though.

• Evanna
    commented on 's reply
    Spelling Bee
    Thank you for explaining. Like Alleycattt, I struggle(d) to understand it. But basically what you're saying is: Apple et al choose fees for the general transaction plus additional fees that are different for each country/currency (I think a lot of Euro countries have the same prices so it can't be country specific [I say a lot because I don't know about all countries, of course]). Bongfish always gets the same amount of money. Anything on top of that, is money that goes to the big corporations.
    Did I get it right?

• Evanna
    commented on 's reply
    I think we all know that and don't expect it to be constantly adjusted. But Euros worth more than USDs, so it should reflect that at least. There are websites that show you an average of what the exchange rate was in the last six months, something like that could be used to determine how much to charge.

I understand from Spelling Bee's explanation that this isn't possible/makes no real difference, but just wanted to say that

• AlleycatttSmurf
    commented on 's reply
    Spelling Bee thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of this in so much detail! It’s unfortunate that the corporate monsters (Apple, Google, Amazon) can get away with this, but I think it is good for everyone to know that this is not something on Bongfish’s end - and that they are not to be blamed for the discrepancies in the pricing for different countries

• Spelling Bee
    commented on 's reply
    Don't be sorry AlleycatttSmurf! It can be very confusing. Yes, the bottom line is that the price differences are what the App Stores (in this case Apple) charge for the payment and processing of your purchase in the country you are living in. In some countries, they have additional markups and fees associated with them doing that, and those are then passed onto the people making the purchases.

Ideally, it would be based solely on exchange rates, but that's only one factor into their equation that they use to determine their operating costs. So, basically, depending on where you live, you may pay more, but the Developers get the same cut for each purchase regardless of where you live. They aren't seeing that additional revenue, the App Stores are.

• AlleycatttSmurf
    commented on 's reply
    Spelling Bee thank you so much for clearing that up!!

But I’m still not understanding why Europeans pay so much more than the US in Apple’s App Store? Is it because the price was locked in before their exchange rate got better? Or does it have something to do with the Brexit vote (I read an article on this but still don’t understand)?

I’m sorry to keep asking it’s just that so many of are struggling to understand this. I have done a bunch of google searches but am still really unclear on what the actual answer is.

I believe what you are saying is that the bottom line is that the price discrepancy isn’t in Bongfish’s hands, and that they themselves are still receiving the same amount of money for the same item in each country?

• skydiver118
    commented on 's reply
    That’s why developers can seem to be ‘moneygrubbing’ (NOT accusing anyone here by any means), but by the time they get paid for the work they did, they get very little.

Take a 10 dollar app, presume it’s only 30% that gets taken off the top, and all the developer gets is 6 dollars, and there may even be more fees beyond that.

It’s kinda like the singer that sells a song....by the time the producer, label, studio and others get their cut off the top the artist can get just a tiny percentage of the price of that song, download or album.

Apple,google and amazon have spent millions of dollars installing and maintaining the infrastructure that makes things like this possible and they gotta pay for it.

• Spelling Bee
    commented on 's reply
    AlleycatttSmurf No, that's not what I mean. When I say "App Stores" I was referring to Apple, Amazon, and Google. I know this topic initially dealt with Apple and their price increases etc., but I was trying to say that Apple, Amazon, and Google tack on their own additional stuff to our in-app purchases. The amounts vary, some add on more than others, but they all do it to varying degrees.

They withhold all those extra fees, take their percentage of the sale and whatnot, and then send out payments to the Developers. In the end, the Developers see none of that extra revenue because it was withheld by the big three as their cost of doing business and processing the payments.

• AlleycatttSmurf
    commented on 's reply
    Spelling Bee thanks for the info Just to be clear- you are saying that the App stores for different countries charge the actual developers of the apps different prices??!! I find that totally bizarre seeing that it is all still owned by the same company, which is Apple. The only difference in the initial cost of the item (before taxes) *should* just be the exchange rate, if that’s not the case it seems a bit shady of Apple????

• AlleycatttSmurf
    commented on 's reply
    No worries Evanna , I knew you weren’t arguing that☺️ Just wanted to make sure that my point about not just “blaming Beeline for the pricing” was clear????
Working...
X