Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official share pictures of your real life Pet topic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Bella.

This is Chauncey.

Comment

Bella and Chauncey are around 7 years old. They were my sisters cats but she was unable to take care of them so I took them in when they were about one.

Comment

• Pachemz
      Pachemz commented
      Editing a comment
      Their fur is pretty silky soft. Maybe it's because they're inside cats only. They don't go outside unless it's in a kitty carrier. Bella is super shy and Chauncey will walk up to anyone and start meowing to be pet or just jump onto anyone's lap. So different!

• chickadee2013
      chickadee2013 commented
      Editing a comment
      More beauties. They have such healthy-looking, shiny coats. Chauncey looks like a panther in that photo. You're getting lots of use out of the pizza bag.

• ejic12
      ejic12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! Two in one bag!

Leo the Dude has taken over our house. He was such a shy, unassuming little guy when we met him. Now he is a very vocal and demanding attention hog, prone to fits of jealousy if anyone dares to pet another cat. We have created a fluffy little monster. But, he's so dang cute and irresistible. I think he may be plotting to take over the world.
    Last edited by happybird; 03-08-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• SushiSmurf
      SushiSmurf commented
      Editing a comment
      That face says "I'm in charge!" Good to see you again here, Leo. I love the freckles. Thanks Happybird for the update. Leo looks great!

How lovely to see so many gorgeous pets!

I know I'm very late to this thread, but I couldn't resist posting a picture of our beloved Jasper (chocolate brown). He was two this week. He's filled a very big hole in our lives which was made by our first, much loved and missed Willow, who sadly passed away at just three. We rescued Jasper and he's become a gorgeous big strapping boy, much better behaved than the whirlwind nightmare he was when we rescued him at six months! And here's a pic of lovely Willow too (cream). LOVE Standard Poodles!

Comment

• happybird
      happybird commented
      Editing a comment
      They are gorgeous! I love the wavy fur on their ears! It looks so soft and pet-able. I'ver never met a standard poodle, but have heard a lot about how very smart they are. Thanks for sharing!

• Artyharry
      Artyharry commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you guys. I miss Willow so much (horrible, horrible, stupid cancer took her away from us ????) but Jasper is just gorgeous. I spent my six weekly, four hours, turning him from a scruff bag into a handsome poodle again, yesterday. Hard work with the shampoo, clippers and scissors, but he's looking smart again! No pom-poms and frilly bits for my beauties...just all natural, lovely curly short back and sides! A real slog but worth it. My daughter is very allergic dogs which is why we discovered the breed, but we'd never have anything else now. So, so smart (can work against you, unless you put in the hours of training required) but fiercely loyal, fun and friendly dogs. LOVE 'em and love it that when we visit the States, they are clearly popular over there and we tend to meet lots. I've never quite understood cats (sorry!) but am dog mad. ????

• Cupcake
      Cupcake commented
      Editing a comment
      What wonderful dogs! My sister-in-law had a standard, who I suspected was smarter that many people! Thanks for sharing the photos!

We just had an adventure. I went into the kitchen to refill my coffee and noticed 3 of the cats staring intently in the same direction. There was a bat on the floor right in front of the stove! At first, all I saw was dark and hairy, so my traitorous mind said 'giant wolf spider, we're going to die,' but then I noticed it was looking at me. Awwww. Bats are kinda cute. But, I don't want them in my house. Plus, Cujo. So, I tossed a small box over him and went to put on some shoes and pants. When I came back, he was sitting next to the box, just hangin' out. I tossed another small box over him. Then, I remembered an old wives tale that says if a bat gets tangled in your hair, you'll go bald (Thanks, Grandma????). I know that is utter crap, but...I went to put a hat on. Just in case. When I came back, he was sitting next to the second box. He was like a little bat Harry Houdini! So, I tossed another box over him (we have a lot of ramen noodle boxes laying around for the cats). Speaking of cats, mine are totally worthless in a crisis. I think Kitten was trying to make friends with the bat. Pooper was peeking out from behind the heater on the other side of the kitchen, hiding from the bat. Leo and Annabelle were just staring and looking outraged. Anyways, I slid a piece of cardboard under the third box and carefully carried everything outside. He was a little floppy a first, but he scooted over into the grass by himself. A minute or so later he flew away, so I think he was okay, just maybe in a little bit of shock. I'm really glad my cats didn't hurt him.

Now, I need to figure out how it got into the house. I heard something in the kitchen this afternoon, but wrote it off as either the neighbor's TV turned up loud, or maybe he had a chatty woman visitor. I'm thinking now that it must have been the bat stuck somewhere behind the counters. It's an old house, so there are gaps.

The wives tale thing I heard when I was a kid. We were at Grandma and Grandpa's one Christmas, and I got woken up in the middle of the night by a huge commotion. I looked down the stairs just in time to see Mom, Aunt Barb and Grandma all running by with dish towels over their heads. They were carrying brooms and sticks and yelling for Grandpa. A bat had flown in the house when someone opened the back door, lol! They never did find it. It flew down to the basement, never to be seen again.
    Last edited by happybird; 04-22-2016, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• Evabevasmurf
      Evabevasmurf commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, my smurfs, this is too funny. I am laughing so hard I am about to fall off my chair. For many years we had bats and chimney swallows nesting in our chimney in the summer. When my husband had to replace the chimney cap one year, he cut one side of the screen out so they could continue to use the chimney for their nests. We never use the fireplace. Sometimes baby birds or bats would make their way into the house. I would cut out the side of a gallon plastic jug, tie a string on the handle, go up on the roof and lower the jug down into the chimney so the mamas could care for their babies. I haven't heard any in the chimney for about two years. I really miss them. Bats are really awesome because they eat mosquitoes. I need to put up some bat boxes and see if I can entice any to use them.

• happybird
      happybird commented
      Editing a comment
      I like bats, too! I worked at a garden center all through high school and we sold lots of bat houses.
      One of our neighbors has a nasty above ground swimming pool, full of greenish-brown water. Hopefully, little bat friend will be very busy eating mosquitoes!
      I love your story about helping the mama birds!

Hi! Thought I'd share pics of our Bassie Boys...Quincy Lupe & Columbo Dawg!! They are the loves of our lives!!! But each one has such different personalities & can both be stubboen &/or needy, depending on their mood & which way the wind is blowing!! Columbo Dawg is our little houdini!! He has escaped EVERY cage & crate, even can open screen to sliding door!!!

Comment

OMG! There was just another bat in the house!???? I can't figure out how they are getting in. This time was much less dramatic- had him scooped and out to the yard in less than 2 minutes, but still... I like bats, but don't want them IN the house!

Comment

• Kareelia
        Kareelia commented
        Editing a comment
        Sheesh,! And I thought I had it bad with the seagulls nest on the building,!
        That would scare me,!!!

More bats! I've started naming them now. Matilda and Hecate were freed in the front yard yesterday while I belted out 'Born Free.'

I've been doing research and apparently we have a bat colony in our attic and in our walls. It's bat maternity season right now (end of June- mid August). A typical colony has about 40 females, who each have one pup per year. Only females roost in a colony, so I've probably got about 80 bats. Yay.

The pups cannot fly for a few weeks, so the moms leave them in the roost (aka my kitchen walls) while they go out to hunt. The babies get bored and wander, and those little guys can squeeze through ridiculously tiny holes and gaps. Mom comes home, finds her baby missing, and freaks out. The baby calls for her and then she tries to get in the house on a rescue mission. Plus, I think all the stupid fireworks have the poor things freaked out and confused this week (they just made fireworks legal in this state and several of my neighbors have been relentless. Ugh).

We can't really do anything to evict them until the babies can fly, so I guess we'll keep having squeaky little visitors until September. Then, while the whole colony is out hunting, we can seal off all the re-entry points. My main concern is making sure my cats don't hurt any of the little guys, and making sure my cats don't get bitten (honestly, they're pretty jaded at this point, the lazy bums!)

It's been really neat watching and listening to the adults echo-locate their way back outside, through an opened window. From what I've read, that's the best and safest way to get lost bats out of the house, and it's been working well. Capture and release is our last resort, only used for the babies and for when the cats can't be quickly corralled.

Cool bat fact: if they are on the ground, they cannot fly. Bats have to drop from a height to get air under their wings in order to take off. That makes catching them a lot easier because I'm not afraid they'll suddenly fly at my face.
      Last edited by happybird; 07-07-2016, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• Caro
        Caro commented
        Editing a comment
        Yikes! That's a lot of bats Happybird!! And a seriously funny story. Love it. Oh dear, you will have squeaky walls until September? That's a long time. But your garden should be moth / bug / mosquito free now!
        Good luck!

• happybird
        happybird commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, Caro! I was surprised to realize it is likely that many. Initially, we thought it was a couple random bats accidentally getting in since we have a lot of big, old trees around the house. But, now that they are super active (and we are paying better attention), we can hear them returning in the morning. It's kinda freaky, to be honest.

• sharonjoy
        sharonjoy commented
        Editing a comment
        Happy bird, we had the same problem a few years ago. Although we caught the 'problem' early and only had a few bats. We had to hire someone who over a 2 month period sealed the house so they could not re-enter. They like to return to the same place. The workers referred to the babies as 'newborns.' Lol reminded me of the twilight series. They could not close off entry point until newborns were hatched and ready to fly. Bats are protected so we had to wait until breeding/hatching season was over before their 'exit' point was sealed. Good luck. ;-)

I...
      I'm just...

No words!

.. But I do find it interesting.. As long as it is not my house!!

Comment

• happybird
        happybird commented
        Editing a comment
        ???? I know, right?! It's crazy! I never thought I'd have to know so much about freakin' bats! I did feel
        better after reading only about 1/2 of 1% of bats have rabies. No cases have been reported in the area in the past few years, so that is good, but we are still being as cautious as we can while still being humane. I swear, if it's not one thing, it's another. Freaking bats. Smh.

• Kareelia
        Kareelia commented
        Editing a comment
        And that is the most important thing!
        That rabies is not likely, and that you and your family can stay safe!
        I hope you can get through this without any unpleasant encounters, and get to a place where ''That time we had 80 bats and became bat wikipedias'' is just a fun anecdote!

I have some really stressful things going on in my life right now, I am so incredibly thankful that I don't have 80 bats in the attic on top of that.. That would just deflate me completely..

So your struggle is right now creating some perspective.. ;-)

Happybird. ..
      Are you sure it was a bat?

A .gif image with topic of Funny, tagged with birds and awesome; uploaded by drbatookhan. I'm a bat!

Comment

I know this thread is fairly old, but I love seeing everyone's pet photos (and reading about Happybird's crazy bat stories!). My husband and I have 3 cats and 3 dogs. All of our dogs are rescues and our cats were given to us by friends (except Sockies who is the Mama Cat's son, she was pregnant when she was given to us). My orange cat Hobbes is 16 years old, the Mama Cat is 12 and Sockies is 11. Our yellow lab/hound cross Sampson is 6 years old and is blind and handicapped because his mother was starved and abused when she was pregnant, but he is so smart and rambunctious and not in any pain. He has the best ophthalmologist and neurologist in British Columbia! We got him when he was 3.5months old from the SPCA. We got Holly from the SPCA when she was 1, she is now 6 and is a total sweetheart. Calabaso is our Mexican rescue. He was just over a year old and lived on the streets of Mexico and had fleas, ticks, was covered in sores and was starving to death. He was discovered by some local construction workers (who also named him, he's named after a type of pumpkin because of his colouring) who were working on the house of some friends of our Vet. Our Vet asked us to foster Calabaso and we ended up keeping him. That was two years ago and he is now just over 3. I love my fur family so much and think that pets help enrich everyone's lives. I couldn't pick my favourite pics of the dogs so I had to make an extra collage of my faves????????????

Comment

• Caro
        Caro commented
        Editing a comment
        I recognise that Tofino sunset!!!

Love those pics & story! Thanks so much AlleycatttSmurf

• AlleycatttSmurf
        AlleycatttSmurf commented
        Editing a comment
        Evanna Thank you???? And you are right, there are many pups at or from breeders in very bad circumstances too. A family on the Island here have a double Merle pup (she's on fb - Moxie the Puppy) and she is def AND blind due to poor breeding practices. Luckily she's a great dog in the perfect home now, but many more aren't so lucky????

@Caro that is so awesome that you have been out to this neck of the woods!! My husband and I actually got married on the beach in Tofino in '06 because we always spent so much time there together, now we usually try go back at least once a year (it's a 4.5 hour drive from our house). Definitely one of my favourite places in the world???? I have Aunts that live in the North Shore of Auckland and Surfer's Paradise Australia so have been around your area too, of course that's a much larger area than this little island lol. But still, small world!

• Evanna
        Evanna commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish people thought of the well-being of the animal before deciding to buy a pet. Whatever the pet is: Be it a dog, a hamster, or a fish. All have needs. And those needs must be met. And ideally, not just the needs. But try to ensure that your pet is as happy as it can possibly be. If you can't offer that? Don't get a pet. No time to walk your dog? Don't get a dog. Think your cat should only eat veggies because you're vegan and hit it when it scratches your leather sofa? Don't get a cat. Think a bowl is big enough for a fish? Don't get a fish. Think a tiny plastic cage with plastic house, plastic wheel, plastic everything, is a great choice for a hamster? Don't get a hamster. Don't want to let your bird fly about your place and want to keep it locked up in a cage? Don't get a bird. Doesn't matter what it is. If you can't/don't want to offer your pet a good life, you shouldn't have one.
        Most people, I think, are doing okay. Maybe not as good as they could, but okay at least. But seeing pictures like yours where the dogs really, truly seem happy and where it seems like they truly are part of their owners' lives and their owners really wanting and loving them? That's beautiful. As I said: Being one of your dogs must be splendid.

Perhaps a little late posting but I enjoy reading through as well!

I have two dogs, a female black Lab that is just over a year old now and a male German Shepherd/Rotweiler mix who is 3.5 years. I also have 2 cats, a few fish and a shark. And the newest addition has been a little baby hamster, named Anabelle ​​​​

One of my favourite pictures when Maple was a pup: (eating watermelon haha)

Messaya, holding his duck for dear life:

Typical day at the park:

Comment

• AlleycatttSmurf
        Editing a comment
        Aww what a couple of cuties????

• Purple!
        Purple! commented
        Editing a comment
        The first two images are adorable! The bottom one showcases their teeth a little too much, they look fierce! Dogs are awesome! You have two great ones!

• Anabelle
        Anabelle commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you both!

And Purple, they do look fierce but I think they just like to show off to each other!

Sad news. We had to have Miss Loveybelle put to sleep a few weeks ago. In March, Pooper scratched her on the nose while they were playing and we thought the scratch had become infected. We took her to the vet and found out it was cancer. When they x-rayed her, her jawbone on that side looked moth-eaten.

It was a very agressive cancer (squamous cell carcinoma), and we think it started out as just a tiny brown spot on the side of her nose. We can now see the spot when looking at photos from Jan/Feb. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's such an aggressive cancer, there is little that can be done unless you catch it very, very early. We didn't. She was just at the vet a couple months prior to the scratch for a checkup, and they didn't notice anything amiss. The spot may not have been there then, and even if it was, it just looked like a tiny, insignificant freckle. I know cats are notorious for hiding pain and discomfort, but been very difficult to come to terms with the fact that she was so sick and I didn't notice. I don't work, so I spend all day with my cats. They are my best friends. She slept next to me every night (usually sprawled across my neck and chest). She seemed perfectly fine- no change in eating or litterbox habits, no change in behavior or personality...nothing.

Why is it all the adult strays we adopt end up with cancer? Bob, Sammy, and now Annabelle. It sucks. We didn't have enough time with her. She was such a sweet, loving kitty. I'm just glad that if this had to happen, she was safe with us, living an indoor life of love and luxury, and not out in the woods by herself like she was when we met her and Leo a couple years ago.

Comment

• AlleycatttSmurf
        Editing a comment
        I'm so sorry for your loss???? My orange cat Hobbes has a bunch of freckles like that, it's so scary to think such a small insignificant looking mark could be such an aggressive cancer. Although your kitty was very sick you should take solace in the fact that she couldn't have been in much pain. You would have seen a difference in her eating habits at the very least if she was. And other than that there is just no way to tell that a cat is sick. Eating and litter box habits are the only signs they ever seem to clearly give us that something is wrong, so when those are fine of course we would think they are perfectly healthy. I'm really sorry you lost your fur family member, but it's so good to know that she lived out her final days in such an awesome and loving environment????????????

• Evanna
        Evanna commented
        Editing a comment
        I am so sorry to hear this Losing a pet is so painful. They really are part of your life and grow so very dear to you. I'm very sorry to hear this happened several times. I hope she is doing well now in cat heaven.

Maybe she didn't feel much pain? There are humans as well who have cancer and then find out randomly they do and have like two or three months left and it's all '???' because they didn't feel a single thing and they should have. If that was the case it's good and bad. Maybe you would have caught it early had she been in pain, but maybe it would have been too late anyway or you would have started treatment but still lost to cancer. Treatment can work, but many die anyway sooner or later. Either from the first round or when the cancer comes back. So in a way, it might have been a blessing. If she wasn't in pain and enjoyed her happy cat life in a loving, warm, caring home until the end? Isn't that beautiful? No/hardly any pain, surrounded by loved ones, not alone.
        I know it hurts. But if you somehow can, try to focus on that she at least didn't suffer. (I know it won't cheer you up. I know it doesn't make up for the loss. But watching someone suffer several times for months, for over a year, really is painful, too. And even though you are sad they are gone, you also feel relieved and happy because finally the suffering has ended. Finally they may sleep. Finally. So I hope that your cat didn't go through this and instead felt no pain until the very end where you were able to help her in passing.)

• happybird
        happybird commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, y'all. ????
        We are very fortunate that my sister-in-law is a mobile vet who specializes in hospice care and euthanasia. My husband's brother is a vet tech at an awesome cats-only vet, which is where we go to for our regular appointments. They've all been so good to us over the years, and it helps a lot that when one of our cats or dogs has had to leave us, we have been able to do it at either at our home or at theirs, comfy on the couch and surrounded by family.

We do have another addition to the herd- Mr. Whiskers. He belonged to (yet another) of my husband's old friends. He went through a nasty divorce and moved several states away (he has little kids, hence the name Mr. Whiskers, lol!) Anyways, Mr. W was only supposed to be here for "maybe a month or two, just until I get settled," but it's now been 6+ months. I have a strong feeling he's ours. Which is fine, we just really didn't need anothar cat...especially an un-neutered one. Leo was NOT pleased, that's for sure. I will get some pics of him together and make a happy post soon.

As the result of a direct and egregious violation of the "We shall no longer feed stay cats because we just don't have room for any more cats" agreement of a few years ago, my darling husband has fed, and now collected us, yet another cat. Meet Ziggy Stardust:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	172.6 KB ID:	219299

(that's the best pic I have. He won't stay still long enough to get a good one)

He's a maniac (the cat, not DH- though that is currently under review), about 10 months old. Ziggy was getting surreptitiously fed and allowed into the garage for shelter ... until he got hit by car in front of the house. That's when I found out about him. He's fine, I think he more got bounced off of the car than run over, and he just bruised up his front leg pretty badly. He was very, very lucky. From what I understand, some other strays were coming into the yard and bullying him for his food, so he started to leave the yard to go pee in the mulch over at the senior center across the street - the very busy street. Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it. Anyhoo ...

This was all about 2 months ago. He went directly into the isolation room (aka the bathroom) to heal. Good thing- he had earmites and came down with a nasty case of calicivirus (the limping kind, in addition and unrelated to his hurt leg) about a week later. Ugh. Poor little guy was miserable, feverish, and completely bed-ridden for about 5 days. We bonded though, since I had to hand feed and water him several times a day. But, that has made him a bit of a spoiled brat who expects to be waited on hand and foot. He's just too cute to deny. And he has a very loud and demanding meow. Sigh. Maybe he'll grow out of it?

He's all well and fixed up now, living large as an indoor-only Kitty of Leisure, and slowly being integrated into the kitty herd.

That part isn't going too well. Pooper is NOT pleased and Ziggy truly is an obnoxious little turd.???? I think all of us, human and feline, want to knock him out at times. He is a ferociously cute and viciously pointy little teenaged land shark. Sadly, the vet says I cannot have a tranq dart gun So, to preserve whatever sanity we have left, he sleeps in his lair (the bathroom, which has a huge window to lay in) during the day. At night, the other cats get triple stack baby-gated into the bedroom so Ziggy can roam and zoom and destroy. His name was almost Gozer but he responded better to Ziggy. As the cats get better acquainted, and as he learns manners and becomes more trustworthy, his time outside of his lair is getting extended. When he feels like it, he's extremely cuddly and snuggly. He's my little buddy and he sticks to me like velcro.
      Last edited by happybird; 07-24-2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• AlleycatttSmurf
        Editing a comment
        What a handsome guy! I’m always a sucker for ginger cats????????????

That is so awesome that you guys saved him and fixed him up???????????? I’m sure he’ll be getting along with the rest of the pack in no time!

• Cupcake
        Cupcake commented
        Editing a comment
        You have a heart of ????, Happybird. What a lucky kitty!

• AlleycatttSmurf
        Editing a comment
        happybird I missed the update about Ziggy!! Hope he has fully integrated into the fur family by now????

You had me laughing out loud at not being allowed to have a tranq dart gun, I have wished for one of these several times for my overly rambunctious Sampson - especially when he’s up barking and demanding breakfast at 4am and is then still raring to go after I finally give in????????????

Sausage as a kitten, and as the magnificent 9 year-old Ragdoll he is now.

Last edited by Chat noir; 02-19-2019, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Chat noir
        Chat noir commented
        Editing a comment
        I was so pleased to find this thread and see, and read your stories about, all your lovely animals - thank you happybird for starting this thread and making my day when I found it! You, and Cupcake and AlleycatttSmurf are doing a great job, giving homes to rescue animals. Your recent competition post about living near those wonderful Silkies now makes sense to me! And I particularly liked your episode with the bats!

• Evanna
        Evanna commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohh, he looks luxurious!

• happybird
        happybird commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, he's lovely!???? I've heard that Ragdolls have great, laid-back, friendly personalities, but have never had the pleasure of meeting one. He looks so snuggly and soft! And I love his colors.
    Working...
    X